Friday, December 12, 2008

Stickers - Reward or Bribe?

I'm not sure what the big deal is about stickers, but every kid seems to like them. Except for Sergio. He eats them.

Hailey is no exception to the mass of kids who love 'em. She started showing interest in them within the last few months, but now she's obsessed with them. So, now I've figured out how to use that obsession to my advantage.


So now I ask: Stickers - reward or bribe? You decide...


My reward system started when I was trying to encourage Hailey to eat a meal without crazy antics such as rubbing the food in her hair or throwing it on the floor. I wouldn't tell her she was going to get a sticker for eating well; I just gave her one at the end of the meal and told her how happy I was that she'd eaten well.


I know that's no big deal, but my dilemma started when she caught a cold recently and I wanted to squirt saline spray into her nose. Normally this is a two person job: RJ holds her hands down and her head still and I do the squirting. And all the while Hailey screams and kicks.


I decided to try and offer a sticker instead of go through all of the drama involved in holding her still. And it worked! She sat completely still while I squirted the saline and held out her hand promptly after to accept her sticker reward.


So, what do you think? Is this an act of bribery or just a reward for a job well done?

Be honest...I can take it.

3 comments:

Nata-Leigh (Lubbock's Mom) said...

I think it's fine. You have to set your own limit now, though ... so you never cross it. For instance, maybe a sticker is fine, but money is not. Or money is fine, but a car is not. Just draw the line and stick(er) to it.

Wendy said...

It's both! And it's good! I don't think it matters what you call it. If it works for you, go for it. The only thing you have to watch for is if it starts to get out of hand. For example, if she starts only doing things if you "pay" her. That's definitely the line you don't want to cross!

Anonymous said...

Both, but ALL good! Hey, whatever works, it's survival of the fittest as a mom! loool