Friday, January 16, 2009

Fungus? No thanks, I'll pass.

I'm not knocking anyone who likes mushrooms. I just don't like them. And I will admit it's not the taste of them that turns my nose up. Because, believe it or not, someone who I will not mention slipped me mushrooms that were hidden in ravioli once. And I actually liked it! That is until I knew what I was eating. It went something like this:

Cook: "Do you like the ravioli?"

Jen: "Yes, I do. It's really good. Is it stuffed with meat?"

Cook: "No, they are mushroom stuffed! Good, huh?"

Jen: "Ummm....yeah. They are good. Can I have some more salad, please?"

I should mention that almost everyone who knows me knows I hate mushrooms. A friend will even attest to the fact that I had a pizza re-made because some of the mushrooms on the other half slid over and invaded my cheese-only half.

The thing that turns me off about mushrooms is (1) the smell when they are being cooked. My dad used to cook them at home and the stench filled the whole house for hours. And (2) the idea of where mushrooms come from. They are a fungus! I find just thinking about fungus while I'm eating ruins my appetite. I can only image what eating fungus would do to it!

You may ask "why the sudden mushroom bashing? What did mushrooms do to you lately?"

Last night while sitting around with RJ he tossed a little flyer in my lap and said "This is what I'm getting you for your birthday". I was all excited, thinking he was giving me a little sneak preview of my gift!

Hardly.

It was a kit to grow gourmet mushrooms at home from a company called Fungi Perfecti. And who wouldn't want to grow fungus on a log in their back yard to have anytime they craved it? Yuck!

What do you all think? Would you mushrooms lovers ever eat this fungus growing on a log in their back yard?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is, I will totally hang out with you sometime and we'll enjoy splitting a hot lucious cheese only pizza!!! :)

As far as the rest of it, I'll totally pass too, never been a mushroom fan and now after looking at that picture, I detest them even more!